Sunday, June 5, 2011

You want answers? I want the truth.

Had a few friends over and we watched A Few Good Men because nobody (save myself) had seen it. Tragic I know. Great movie - especially the sound effects, or dramatic piano music as I called it. And it reminds me of JAG - a great TV series I enjoyed with the family growing up. Although I didn't recall all the profanity - probably because I've seen the edited TV version most recently.

Something I enjoy about this movie is the way you get a little information at a time but you don't know where Cruise is going to go with it. Probably why I enjoy shows like NCIS and Bones. What are they gonna figure out next? Who could have done it? And Cruise appears to be a show off pretty boy who won't be able to get the job done - especially to Demi Moore. But he surprises us all by actually being a good lawyer!

Love the number of stars in this film. Kevin Bacon, Jack Nicholson, Cuba Gooding Jr., the guy who plays Admiral in JAG, Kiefer Sutherland. I'm sure I'm leaving others out, but I love seeing so many talented actors get together and put on a good show. And it's a military film so there are a lot of men in uniform. What's not to love about that?

Also love the part when Bacon asks someone on the stand to point out the definition of a Code Red in a handbook, but there is not reference to Code Red in any handbook. What could Cruise possibly come back with to make that point invalid? He asks the soldier on the stand to point on where the mess hall is. But, there is no mess hall shown in any handbook. Does that mean he hasn't eaten since being stationed in Cuba? Genius. Shout out to the writers!

And of course, the climax and famous quote. Jack Nicholson is fabulous in this film, as is Tom Cruise. Their interaction is perfect - Nicholson hates Cruise because he doesn't understand code or honor of following orders - he's just a Harvard Navy lawyer boy. So Cruise is able to push him far enough to admit that he ordered the code red. Really intense interaction. Love it.

You want answers? I want the truth. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

Serious. Intense. Woah. I don't know how many times I've said that myself, but I'll never be able to say it as well as Jack Nicholson does in this movie.

I plan to stay on top of this movie list a little better now that I'm all graduated and an adult and all. When will I finish it? Good question. But I will. One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment